This resource is located in Wilson Reference (first floor). You’ll need the CD and the associated workstation (ask at the first floor service desk). We own version 19.
Bar Ilan‘s Judaic Library : in a class by itself– : plus Responsa & Encyclopedia Talmudit.
אוניברסיטת בר־אילן. פרוייקט השו״ת; רש״י, 1040־1105; Universiṭat Bar–Ilan. Proyeḳṭ ha-shut.
Monsey, N.Y. : Torah Educational Software 9999
Check holdings at TC Wilson Library Reference (BM495 .B39 )
- Location / Call Number
- TC Wilson Library Reference BM495 .B39
version 17, full library (1 CD-ROM)
version 19+ (1 DVD-ROM)
The Global Jewish Database (The Responsa Project) at Bar-Ilan University is the largest database of its kind. This database includes the full text of the Bible and its principal commentaries, the Babylonian Talmud with Rashi’s commentary and Tosafot, the Jerusalem Talmud, the Mishneh Torah of Maimonides, 300 Rambam Commentaries (Friedberg ed.), Shulchan Aruch with commentaries, Midrashim, hundreds of books of responsa, searchable text of 12,000 articles from various Torah periodicals and collections, and the Talmudic Encyclopedia, representing a period of over three thousand years of Jewish literary creativity. – info from publisher is based on a newer (22) version.
Two recent online encyclopedias were acquired for the University of Minnesota Libraries: Integrated Encyclopedia of the Qur’an (IEQ), (2013) and Encyclopedia of Jewish Folklore and Traditions (2013)
These two titles aren’t yet listed in the Libraries Catalog, but affiliated* students, staff and faculty can access them immediately via Gale Virtual Reference**
Categories in GVL include:
RELIGION, with 13 titles
- Encyclopaedia Judaica, 2007
- Encyclopedia of Easter, Carnival, and Lent, 2002
- Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2006
- Encyclopedia of Religion, 2005
- Encyclopedia of Religion and the Law in America, 2009
- Encyclopedia of Religion in America, 2010
- Integrated Encyclopedia of the Qur’an (IEQ), 2013
- New Catholic Encyclopedia, 2003
- Religions of the World, 2010
- The Religious Right, 2007
- Science and the World’s Religions, 2012
- Understanding Islam and Muslim Traditions, 2004
- The Varieties of Magical Experience, 2013
MULTICULTURAL STUDIES, five titles
- American Indian Food, 2005
- Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History, 2006
- Encyclopedia of Jewish Folklore and Traditions, 2013
- Gale Encyclopedia of Multicultural America, 2014
- Gale Encyclopedia of Multicultural America, 2000
* Remote access is limited, per the terms of our publisher licenses, to current University of Minnesota — Twin Cities students, staff and faculty. On-site access is available to all users from within any Twin Cities campus library.
**(to find it on the menus, just go in through the Databases A-Z on the left side of the Libraries home page. Just remember to log in! Once inside GVRL, click on Religion – and the other categories may have titles of interest, so have fun browsing!